For some, leadership skills don’t come naturally, and that’s where you need soft skills training. Here is an example that gives you a better idea of how soft skills are relevant to what you do.
From hosting her talk shows to inspiring millions, Oprah Winfrey is one among us who used her skills to bring attention to social issues. Her opening speech at the 75th Golden Globe Awards made people call her to run for President of the United States in 2020.
Her ability to communicate effectively and her empathy towards others makes her the successful and powerful woman she is. And these are two of the essential skills one requires in their life, which are called soft skills.
Soft skills are the non-technical skills that relate to how you act. It includes how you interact with others, how you manage your work, and how you solve problems.
Why do we need soft skills training?
In this generation, face-to-face communication does not last long. Almost all the communication happens through smartphones, hence creating neglect in developing soft skills.
A person with good soft skills sets apart others. Be it your personal or professional life, an overall impression is created based on how you react to each situation.
Places where you can apply your soft skills are,
- Restaurants: Be polite to the staff and acknowledge them for their service rather than treating them harshly.
- Job interviews: To test your soft skills, the interview panel assigns you a few real-life tasks, where they evaluate you based on your performance.
- Workplace: There will be times when you have to lead a team or make a crucial decision. That tests your leadership or decision-making skills.
If you are finding it hard to develop soft skills at school or work, then opting for soft skills training is a brilliant choice.
Types of soft skills
According to LinkedIn’s 2019 Global Talent Trends survey, ninety-two percent said soft skills matter as much or more than hard skills, and 80% said soft skills are increasingly significant to organisational success.
Soft skills, commonly known as “people skills”, include aspects such as:
Communication is successful when the message you are trying to convey is clear to the receiver. Be it an oral or written form of communication, make it precise and to the point.
Always speak and act confidently in any situation. Your confidence in your communication can tell a lot about you. The first step is to believe in yourself.
Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of each other. For example, your friend was not able to win the match and she was sad. Seeing her, you also feel sad (even though you aren’t affected by her not winning the match). Sharing her sadness is empathy.
Punctuality is important everywhere. Be it showing up in the office or submitting the projects on time.
5. Problem Solving
Problem-solving skills help you determine why an issue is happening and how to resolve that issue. It’s one of the key skills that employees require.
It is the act of leading a team and being a good leader. A true leader identifies the strengths and weaknesses of their team members.
When it comes to bad hires, 89% said they typically lack soft skills. So, we need soft skills training to improve our interpersonal skills.
Benefits of soft skills training
The earlier we focus on our soft skills, the better it is. Soft skills are strengthened through one’s experiences and journey as a student and a working professional.
- A student can learn several things if we let them grow and create a safe space to ask their questions. This way, the curiosity and the thirst to learn never die in them.
- Time management is essential throughout life. For instance, students will have to juggle their studies and projects or finish competitive exams on time. They must know the value of time and the meaning of punctuality, especially when they work.
- Nurture the analytical thinking in students so that it prepares them to step into the actual world. Create a platform that helps to grow their interests.
2. Personal life
- Learn to communicate throughout your life. Good communication can harness good relations. Always communicate truthfully and respectfully.
- If one can adapt to the changes happening around them, they will adjust to their expectations and cope with these changes in life and work far better.
- How we handle our own emotions and relate to that of others is a critical aspect of how we navigate the world. This personal soft skill plays a major role in leadership or teamwork.
- Training the employees on conflict resolution can improve customer service. Eventually, the employee will be able to quickly identify the problem, study it and provide a solution to the customer.
- Focusing on improving employee soft skills can increase the retention of employees. This way, the company can save hire costs.
- Learning how to take feedback professionally is important. Respect the feedback and seek solutions to improve. Maintaining a positive attitude is essential to you and your team members.
Online soft skills training courses
With the rise of technology, online courses are booming because of the convenience it provides. It is flexible, well-designed and cost-effective.
In fact, COVID-19 resulted in the rise of enrollment in soft skills training courses. Students and professionals felt the need to improve their soft skills to add value to their resumes or skill-set.
MyCaptain is one such platform that offers a course on business communication that helps you to up your skill game at your workplace. With lifetime access to the course content, you get to interact with an experienced mentor and learn effectively. The price range of online courses varies from 500 INR to 50,000 INR.
Online v/s offline soft skills training
- Offline courses are the active method of learning where the students can directly communicate with their mentor. While online courses can delay the communication flow when there are network issues.
- Online training courses are much affordable compared to offline training courses, where you can learn from the comforts of home.
- It is easy to find many online skills training courses around us in contrast with a lesser number of offline skills training courses.
- Online courses provide the personalisation of content while students in an offline batch get personal attention.
Clearly, all of the most in-demand soft skills can be trained and developed. Either through offline or online training.
The problem is that many people still think of these types of skills as innate qualities rather than something that can be learned.
As Winston Churchill said, “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference”, a small change in how you perceive the soft skills can bring a huge difference in the organisation as well as your life.
You must be logged in to post a comment.